Monday 3 June 2013

Boss Difficulty in the Throne of Thunder.

This is just a brief analysis of how I view the fights 1-11 in Throne of Thunder 10M Normal, from a Protection Warrior's perspective (iLevel 519, for gear reference):

Jin'Rohk the Breaker - Interesting mechanic for tank swaps, making it so that bad tanks punish the entire raid, bit of a "free loot" boss in my honest opinion. From a loot perspective however, good weapon considering current optimal stats for active mitigation, with a socket for straight +Stam to boot. Yum.

Horridon - One of my favourite fights in the instance, though I only really panicked when I got 15+ stacks of the Triple puncture debuff and lucky blocks saved me from taking ~1m damage straight to the face. Quite easily stomped when add tanking due to Disrupting Shout for any AoE interrupts and Mocking Banner to make sure any stragglers don't decide to wander off and attack dps.

Council of Elders - I like the fight, but felt a bit... reheated to me. Never been a massive fan of Council fights, but I think the Dark Power energy bar that they get adds an interesting mechanic. Biggest failing is the "zergable" nature of the fight, stack the Frost King, Sul, and Mar'li on top of each other and nuke Sul while cleaving the other two is a tactic that unfortunately works.

Tortos - In my honest opinion, hardest boss out of the first 11. The RNG factor of turtles knocking dps up into the air or not being able to kick because of this is very annoying. Not to mention as soon as the bats start meleeing a target that isn't a tank, they turn to mush pretty damn quickly. Not to mention that actually tanking the adds through the raid-wide stun almost guarantees a tank death unless cooldowns were in place or the adds were CC'd somehow.

Megaera - Second favourite fight in the instance, just in front of Horridon. Always been a fan of Hydra-style creatures so to see Cloud Serpents mutilated to create this monstrosity of a boss is awesome to see. Again, the LFR tactic of GRGRGRG for a kill order is unfortunately the most viable, but at least the tanks then have to be on their toes for the insane damage the blue head throws at you with 120% damage done and 120% increased attack speed.

Ji-Kun - I hate this boss. You stand still and hit a bird-shaped target dummy for 6 minutes. It's boring as hell to tank, I'll move on.

Durumu - Fun fight for healers I can imagine, with the stacking healing debuff on tanks, as well as the raid damage from the eye beams. AND OH MY GODS THE MAZE. I actually find it easier to Alt-Z my UI away and run the maze with no UI visible, but I'm very comfy with where my damage abilities are, and when my defensive/offensive CDs will be up. Very fun fight, very original.

Primordius - Or as we in The Undecided call it, LootMoredius. Not sure what the plan was for this fight, but it is easily my favourite in the instance. The first time we attempted this, I had about 50% knowledge of what to do from memory from beta testing the instance. We managed to kill the boss on the first try with only one death. As easy as it is, it's my favourite fight for the childish reason of: I MUTATE INTO A MASSIVE F*CKING LIZARD MAN! WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE?

Iron Qon - Fun fight, though some of it seems a bit pointless. Like the tornadoes doing more damage, on top of the AoE and 50% healing reduction in the air phase. After asking my co-tank (Stealthduck@Argent Dawn) what he thought of it, as I couldn't form a decent opinion, he said that it was an "okay" fight, where tanks are overlooked a lot, which in his opinion happens a lot.

Twin Consorts - Loot Consorts, killed on first try using no buffs. Thanks Blizz. Though I very much like the Beasts of Nightmare mechanic and how only tanks can deal with it. Needs to be harder I think.


Thanks for taking the time to read this, I'll be sure to post my opinions on the Lei Shen fight after he's down and before we progress on to Heroic Jin'Rohk!

Teren

No comments:

Post a Comment